Every summer, we award one or more medical students who have just completed their second year of medical school, with a $8,000.00 scholarship to spend the summer furthering their education in ophthalmic medicine, surgery and research.
The program consists of education and research experience in the diagnosis and management of eye disease. It is conducted at the Eye Associates with portions at various University of Toronto teaching hospitals, encompassing all sub-specialty areas in ophthalmology. Each student will become involved in at least one research project that is supported by the Foundation.
To date there have been 42 EFC Summer scholars since we began the program in 1991, two thirds of whom have gone on to careers in Ophthalmology.
The program consists of education and research experience in the diagnosis and management of eye disease. They are conducted at:
Eye Associates and with portions at various University of Toronto teaching hospitals.
Past summer scholars include:
- Steven Schendel University of Alberta
- King Chow Western University
- Keyvan Koushan University of Toronto
- William Dubinski Queens University
- Azien Safarpour U of Ottawa
- Sylvia Chen McGill University
- Clara Chan Queens University
- Kamrouz Kassiri U of Manitoba
- Yi Ning Strube Queens University
- Jason D. Blair Queens University
- Dominik Podbielski University of Toronto
- Silvia Odorcic University of Toronto
- Alec Yarascavitch McMaster University
- Matthew R. Lincoln University of Toronto
- Kim Le University of Toronto
- Paul Bastinanelli McGill University
- Jonathan Micieli McGill University
- Syed Yaser Habeeb Queens University
- Stephan Ong Tone McGill University
- Richard Norman University of Toronto
Eastern Division 2012
- Parampal Grewal University of British Columbia
Western Division 2012
- Henry Fung University of Toronto
Eastern Division 2013
- Irfan Kherani University of Alberta
Western Division 2013
- Thomas Berk University of Toronto
Eastern Division 2014
- Maya Tong University of British Columbia Western Division 2014
- Aaron Chan University of Toronto Eastern Division 2015
- Pauline Sawicki University of Toronto Western Division 2015
- Harry Dang University of Ottawa 2016
- Daniel Li University of Toronto 2016
We are currently accepting applications.
Application deadline: February 1st, 2017
We ask that applicants write to us expressing their interest and include their
Curriculum Vitae and the dates of their availability for the summer of 2017.
We expect that prospective students would be available for at least
8 –10 weeks during the summer of 2017.
The Eye Foundation of Canada
2115 Finch Avenue West, Suite 314
Toronto, Ontario M3N 2V6
For more information please call us (416) 743-9046
or email us.